Sunday 10 January 2016

Windows 10 is here

I have finally decided to accept the insistent Microsoft invitation to the upgrade. I was happy with Windows 7 on both my laptop and home desktop, but I thought to try it anyway.

First, I upgraded my Asus K53SJ laptop after a quick check on the support website for known issues: the upgrade was successful and faster than expected.
I tried it for two days before applying the upgrade to the desktop. This is a custom-made one with an AMD AM3 Socket based motherboard. The upgrade process was flawless also in this case.

Issues

Unfortunately, I have noticed some minor issues on both PC.

Laptop

The integrated webcam was not recognised anymore. To fix this issue, I uninstalled the driver, downloaded the latest version from the Asus website and installed it again, taking care to reboot after each setup execution.
Another issue that I have not fixed yet, the user switch sometimes gets the laptop stuck: the only solution is to hard reset and reboot.

Desktop

Even in this case, the webcam - an external Logitech C525 - was not recognised anymore. I fixed the issue with the same solution for the laptop webcam (uninstall, reboot, install the latest driver, reboot).
After the upgrade, the additional PCIEx-to-USB was not recognised anymore. Fortunately enough, in this case, a simple reboot fixed it.
Last, sometimes during the boot animation, the PC hangs.
I have yet to find a solution better than a hard reset.


Privacy Settings

Windows 10 is well known to send user information to Microsoft without asking for permission.
After an upgrade, I would recommend disabling all the privacy-related settings.
I have found this helpful guide, but you can find many similar ones on the internet. Somebody also created utilities that automate these tasks.

Conclusions

Apart from those minor annoyances, I feel the new OS is worth the upgrade.
The best improvements on the early versions are in the Command Prompt (that finally supports the windows resizing!) and the integrated Modern UI windows in the desktop environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment