Thursday 21 January 2016

The Good Dinosaur

Last weekend my family and I finally watched the last Disney Pixar movie.
This was our first time in a cinema with Stefano, so it was a great experience, regardless of the movie.
We watched the 2D version of the movie, and frankly, I have been in more comfortable and technically-equipped cinemas, but this did not make the visual experience less pleasant.
I think Pixar wanted to show the maximum photorealism they could achieve.
The representation of nature is perfect in every detail: the mountains, the grass, the water, everything in the environment seems more real than real.
The character design, with the exaggerated animations and those big eyes, is that toon-ish style that makes the movie more suitable for kids.
Because, after all, this should be a movie for kids.
The problem is that, even with that PG rate that it took, it is not remarked enough that this is not exactly a movie for kids.
In hindsight, I wish I had read the reviews on imdb.com before going to the cinema.
Some scenes are, to say the less, not appropriate for a young public. Stefano is not scared easily, but some scenes made him silent (I know what this means), and I did my best to mitigate the tension in such moments.
The story has great potential: imagine the world if the dinosaurs would not be extinct after the meteor. It could be intended for families, but I think they put too much unnecessary tension in different parts of the movie.

I cannot really understand the reason of some scenes:

Why graphically represent a decapitation? Why visualize a small animal eaten alive? Why repeat the scene of the death of Arlo's father? Why put so much tension in the storm representation?



Even the short that precedes the movie is somewhat not appropriate: the graphic style of the monster could be a little less scary considering the average age of the public.

As an adult, I somewhat enjoyed The Good Dinosaur, even with its over-simplistic story, but I would not recommend other parents watch it with their children.

Stefano was very bored, and for the last 20 minutes, he barely resisted leaving and did not watch the movie.

We spent the rest of the day at his favourite playground to reward his patience. 

This was the first time I did not bother watching the credits at the end of the movie.
I promised myself to read the reviews before watching a movie in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment