Tuesday 22 September 2015

Just yet another blog...

This is my first post on the Blogger platform.

I find it well organized and functional: in a few minutes, I have set up the layout, added some personal information to my profile, written the About page and then I am writing the very first post. :)

I have a previous experience with WordPress as a self-hosted CRM.

Even if much more customizable, as expected from a complete CRM platform, the effort required to set it up is high, and I don't want to spend my spare time getting mad because of not-so-tested CSS or unsecured Javascript plugins.

Moreover, I don't want to spend money to buy a hosting service for now.
After all, I only want a public space to share my experiences without the social networks' limitations.

Before choosing Blogger, I had also considered wordpress.com, and since I had never used it before, I did preliminary research to choose the right service.
I found both very powerful, and I cannot count the number of online sources that suggest one or the other, so comparing only the technical aspects did not help.

The free wordpress.com service forces you to show ads on your blog. I understand this is a way to keep the service free, but for now, I don't want to annoy the reader with "flashing banners". I hope you appreciate this! :)

On the other hand, my concern about the Google's platform is the clause to reuse the blog content as stated on Terms of Service page:


When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.

I think I can live with it as I accepted similar terms of use for Google+ and Facebook.

Writing a blog may seem outdated nowadays, but it is only a different way to share information on the internet, eventually complementing the various social networks we all have subscribed to.

It is the opposite of Twitter: instead of forcing yourself to be extremely concise in 140 characters, you can express your best using all the words you need :).


No comments:

Post a Comment